A DIABETIC man died as a result of an insulin overdose, an inquest heard.

Mark Atkinson, who also used the surname Marshall, died on April 20. He had injected himself with a large dose of insulin at his flat in Grosvenor Gardens, Radcliffe Road, four days earlier.

Bolton Coroner’s Court was told how the 43-year-old was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in 2005 and was instructed to use an insulin pen, but often forget to do so.

Assistant coroner Timothy Brennand heard that Mr Atkinson started experiencing depressive symptoms following the death of his father seven years ago and his marriage was affected.

Mr Atkinson’s wife, Louise Jones told the court that they had been estranged for some time and that he had told her he was considering taking his own life on numerous occasions.

She added that things became worse when he was made redundant from work as an installation manager.

In February Mr Atkinson was admitted to hospital after overdosing on tablets and reporting suicidal thoughts.

A psychiatrist at the Royal Bolton Hospital diagnosed Mr Atkinson as suffering from mild depression and adjustment disorders.

The court heard that he began receiving home treatment and in the days leading up to his death had twice daily visits from case workers.

On the evening of April 16 a member of the Bolton home treatment team visited his home.

They contacted police to report that Mr Atkinson had not answered the door and there were concerns for his welfare.

Officers arrived to find Mr Atkinson unconscious on the floor with empty insulin pens in the kitchen.

Ambulance was called but, after four days in hospital, he died.

Pathologist Dr Emil Salmo concluded that the overdose had left Mr Atkinson with brain injuries and fatally high blood sugar levels, which contributed to his death.

Recording a narrative conclusion, Mr Brennand said: “Mark Atkinson died as a consequence of overdosing on prescribed insulin in consequences where his own intention remains unclear due to his mental state.”