A TEENAGER who fell from a bridge at the Trafford Centre is a pupil at a school in Bolton, a headteacher has confirmed.

Lukman Kaduji is fighting for his life after falling from a covered walkway which runs from Debenhams end of the centre to the car park on Saturday evening.

The 15-year-old, who was with schoolfriends, suffered serious injuries and remains in a critical condition in hospital.

The group had been in the shopping centre before the incident.

Police, who launched an investigation following the fall, are treating it as a ‘heartbreaking accident’.

Emergency services were called to the shopping complex at 8.15pm.

Paramedics took Lukman to Salford Royal Hospital.

Lukman is a pupil at Essa Academy in Great Lever, where the ‘thoughts and prayers’ of the school community are said to be with him and his family.

Support has been put into place for the boys who were with the teenager at the time of the accident and have met with his family.

Headteacher Martin Knowles said: “We have met with Lukman’s family and are providing support at this very difficult time.

“Academy and other trained professionals are working hard to support the boys who were with Lukman at the time of the accident, as well as supporting our whole academy community who are reeling from the news of the tragedy.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with Lukman and his family at this time.”

Detectives do not believe a crime occurred and are treating the incident as an accident.

Det Sgt Stephen Warriner, from GMP’s Trafford borough, said: “We have trawled through all the CCTV that showed this tragic incident taking place and after speaking to a group of boys who were there at the time, as well as other witnesses, we no longer believe anything untoward happened.

“Sadly this seems to be a heart-breaking accident where someone’s son is now fighting for their life in hospital.

“I want to thank the public for their help during this investigation and we will continue to focus our efforts on the family, providing them with support through this ordeal.”

Following the incident, five 15-year-old boys were arrested on suspicion of assault. All have now been released with no further action.