POLICE have being carrying out extensive searches of a park for a missing man they believe was assaulted before his disappearance. 

Steven Dyson, aged 22, was last seen at 9am on Monday, January 1 leaving a New Year's Eve Party on St Andrew's Close, Ramsbottom.

He visited the Grey Mare Pub, in Bolton Road and Longsight Service Station at around 3am before the last sighting of him six hours later.

Police have said inquiries indicate he may have been assaulted and may be seriously injured.

Steven Dyson search: Ramsbottom mum's emotional plea for son to come home

A 21-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of assault and remains in custody for questioning.

Police have been searching Nuttall Park for Mr Dyson and mountain rescue teams were in the area until around midnight after searching throughout Tuesday. 

More searches are expected to take place today, including specialist resources such as the NPAS police helicopter. 

Police have a dedicated team of officers on the investigation into the disappearance and specially trained officers have been supporting the family. 

They are said to be 'extremely concerned' for his welfare and have  not heard from him since he went missing. 

He has not been in contact with anyone he knows, his phone is not active and he has not drawn any money out of his bank account since the dissapearance. 

Mr Dyson's aunt, Trish Boore, said he left the party to walk home to Beechwood Avenue — a 25-minute walk.

She said: "It's totally out of character for him, totally. He's a youngster and they do go out drinking but when he's had enough all he wants to do is go home and sleep it off.

"He was heading home but he's not reached home.

"If anyone that was at the party knows anything, if they could tell the truth. We think someone knows something."

Ms Boore said she had heard multiple stories about the New Year's party including that Mr Dyson may have had an argument with someone before leaving or even been beaten up. However, others said that had not happened.

He was due at work on Tuesday at House of Fraser in Manchester but did not turn up.

Detective Chief Inspector Charlotte Cadden of GMP’s Bury borough, said: “Steven’s family are becoming increasingly concerned after not hearing from him for such a long time.

“He may be in urgent need of medical attention, so the sooner we can find him, the better.

“Please take a good look at the picture of Steven and do what you can so we can reunite this young man with his loved ones, who are desperate to hear from him.”

Appeals to find Mr Dyson have been widely shared on social media as friends and family try and find him.

Missing posters have also gone up in Ramsbottom. 

Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 0161 856 8157 or 101, quoting reference MP/18/0112464. Reports can also be made anonymously through the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.