A WOMAN has been left permanently scarred after the owner of a Bolton town centre restaurant poured a kettle of boiling water over her.

Wanchai Ngamphuthat ran Thailand Cafe, in Bridge Street, but now faces being deported back to Thailand after he was sentenced to eight years in prison.

Bolton Crown Court heard how the 53-year-old had entered the country illegally 14 years ago, as he was sentenced yesterday after pleading guilty to ABH and GBH with intent.

The court heard how Ngamphuthat, of School Street, Westhoughton, was the business partner of the woman and had helped her set up a massage parlour.

Prosecutor Tom Longstaff said they met when she was out for a meal at his restaurant and struck up a friendship.

The pair had started to have disagreements after Ngamphuthat became 'jealous of the victim's business', Mr Longstaff added.

On June 18 last year, the woman, who is also originally from Thailand, was at the parlour, when Ngamphuthat entered and they started having an argument.

He put the kettle on before pouring the boiling contents over the woman.

She started to scream for help before making her way to hospital.

The woman suffered scalding to her head, face, limbs, and chest and was admitted to a burns unit where she had to stay for five days.

Mr Longstaff said she will still require treatment for 18 months and will be left with permanent scarring and pigmentation changes, mostly to her arms.

In a victim personal statement, read in court, the woman said: "He poured hot water over my face and body.

"I was in a lot of pain. I was admitted to hospital for one week. My husband took a picture of me in hospital and showed it to me. I was shocked and upset to see my face.

"My Thai friends who came to see me were upset and crying.

"I was scared that he might come back again. I have not been able to leave my house on my own. I am still scared of him sending someone to hurt me and my family."

In May, 2018, there was another assault on the woman by Ngamphuthat.

She was in the parlour when they had a disagreement and he pulled a hammer from underneath a massage table.

Ngamphuthat had the hammier in his right hand and grabbed hold of her with his left.

He pushed her on to a bed and hit her on the hand with the hammer, causing bruising and swelling.

Mr Longstaff said he threatened the victim saying 'she won't be able to work anywhere again' and threatened her family in Thailand.

Jamie Hamilton, defending Ngamphuthat, said he had lived in the country for 14 years and was of good character.

He said the defendant had helped to build a temple in the Bolton community and had also supported a children's football team by buying their kit.

Mr Hamilton added: "English is not his first language, he is not fluent in English.

"It would be right to say he has so far found custody an isolating experience. He will find custody difficult."

The court proceedings were translated to Ngamphuthat through an interpreter.

Thailand Cafe is believed to have closed down around two to three months ago.

It was a popular location and even earned rave reviews from TV Masterchef star John Torode on a visit to the town in 2014.

Judge Timothy Clayson described the kettle assault as a 'particularly heinous offence' and said it was designed to inflict pain.

He sentenced Ngamphuthat to eight years in prison for the GBH and nine months for ABH, to run concurrently.

The Home Office confirmed itwould be pursuing Ngamphuthatfor deportation.

A spokesman said: “Foreign nationalswho abuse our hospitality by committing crimes in the UK should be in no doubt of our determination to deport them and we have removed more than 40,000 foreign offenders since 2010.”