THE family of a man who hanged himself on the night of his grandfather’s 80th birthday party has paid tribute to him.

Alexander Banerjee, aged 23, of Russet Walk, Astley Bridge, had attended the party at Dunscar Conservative Club on the evening of May 12 this year, but left at about 10pm.

An inquest into his death at Bolton Coroner’s Court today heard that his body was then found on moorland near Winter Hill the following day.

Paying tribute to her son, Mr Banerjee’s mother Jane Alexander described him as ‘a popular person’ who ‘always helped his friends’.

The court heard that Mr Banerjee, who worked as a computer programmer at Hilton Smythe in Bolton, had suffered from mental health problems for several years, and had showed signs of agoraphobia in the past.

He had sought help from mental health professionals in the past, but as a result of his anxiety, he struggled to leave the house in order to attend assessments.

Speaking about the hours leading up to his death, family members recalled thinking Mr Banerjee ‘looked anxious’ at the party, and that he had told his mother he would not be staying long as he did not feel well.

After leaving, he was picked up by a friend and had gone back to her house, but disappeared shortly after.

In the early hours of May 13, he had then sent text messages to family members, including his mother, and his sister Hayley. He had told the pair that he was in a field, and was heading to a friend's house.

Family members urged him to return home, but told the court that such behaviour was not out of the ordinary for him.

The following day, his body was discovered by a walker on moorland close to Coal Pit Road.

Family and friends say that during the final few weeks of his life, Mr Banerjee's mental health appeared to be improving.

He had managed to attend an assessment with a mental health professional in March, but had failed to attend follow-up appointments, including one just days before his death, after which he was discharged from the service.

His mother told the court that she had previously asked her son's GP if it was possible for him to have access to a home-based treatment service instead, but was told the service was not offered in Bolton.

She said: “When he went to see the psychiatrist, it was all too much pressure. When someone has anxiety and fear of going out, to actually go out is a hard thing to do. If they had come to him I think he would have been here today. That is where the system has let my son down.”

Recording a narrative conclusion, coroner Sarah Watson said: “Alexander Banerjee died as a consequence of self-suspension by ligature in circumstances where his intentions remain unclear.”

Speaking after the hearing, Ms Alexander said: “Alexander was a very popular person. He had a lot of friends and he broke a lot of girls’ hearts.

“More than 300 people went to his funeral. He always helped his friends and took them in. He used to help people who were less fortunate.

“He was a very clever lad. He was making his own game at the time he left us.”

His grandfather Vincent Hopkinson added: “He used to come to our house regularly cutting the grass and weeding the garden. We were always happy and laughing together.”