FIREFIGHTERS tackled a blaze which broke out in a town centre flat this afternoon.

Crews were called to the fourth floor of the apartment block on Marsden Road at 12.30pm when a fire broke out in the boiler cupboard.

Three fire engines were initially mobilised after the smoke alarm alerted the residents.

A side road was closed as crews tackled the blaze.

Mark Murphy watch manager at Bolton Central Fire Station said: “Two occupants had got out after being alerted to the fire.

“They kept the door where the boiler was shut which stopped the fire from spreading. We brought the fire under control within 10 minutes and the flat has suffered smoke damage.”

A fault with the boiler is believed to have caused the fire.

Crews left the scene just after 1.30pm