A DISCARDED cigarette caused a carpet fire at a house in Halliwell.

Fortunately, the occupant of a first floor flat in in Longtown Gardens was awoken by a smoke alarm. He left the property and called the Fire Service at 8.14pm on Wednesday..

Two crews from Bolton central Fire Station, and one from Bolton North, spent half-an-hour at the scene.

Watch manager Karsten Boyle said: "The man suffered slight effects of smoke inhalation and was treated at the scene by paramedics.

"Some damage was done to the carpet due to smouldering."

Mr Boyle said: "We would once again remind people about the importance of extinguishing cigarettes properly, especially in the evening, and of having smoke alarms that are checked regularly."

Anyone wanting free smoke alarms, and free installation and advice, should call 0800555815