A MOTHER has paid tribute to her son who died in his own home after a “cry for help” ended in tragedy.

Sharon Norris said her son Gary was a “great son” and “loving dad” to his one-year-old son Thomas, who he was “over the moon with”.

Gary died on August 10, 2018 aged 29, after he was found hanging in his home in Green Avenue, Bolton three days earlier.

The inquest heard evidence from his mother, two brothers and sister, telling the court that he had sent them messages on August 7 saying “see you on the other side”, something he had been known to say in the past.

A statement read out by assistant coroner Simon Nelson from Mr Norris’ brother Anthony revealed Mr Norris “always sent messages like that”.

Evidence read out from his other brother Jason revealed he had said “see you on the other side” to him, the last time they saw each other, to which Jason had told him “not be daft” because he had said it to him before.

Mr Nelson said: “I genuinely believe that the purpose of the messages that he sent on August 7 were to elicit a response.

“He wouldn’t know how quickly that response would come but that would be the purpose.”

The alarm was raised by a cousin of Mr Norris, who contacted his sister Kayleigh.

Miss Norris went round to his home in Green Avenue. She could not get inside and enlisted the help of neighbour Michael Sturgess, who used a ladder to enter an upstairs window.

Inside he found Mr Norris. He let Miss Norris inside and together they freed Mr Norris and began CPR with the help of more neighbours. Paramedics arrived and Mr Norris was taken to Royal Bolton Hospital.

He was placed on a ventilator and after discussions with his family, treatment was withdrawn on August 9 and he died the next morning.

The inquest heard evidence from his GP Dr Jonathan Varker, which was read out. It said Mr Norris had visited the surgery in 2012, complaining of depression. He had received some on and off treatment for depression.

He did not attend his doctor for a long period. In May 2017 Mr Norris was involved in a motorbike accident in Woodgate Street, Great Lever. His last contact with his doctor was in August 2017 for residual pain from the accident.

Mr Nelson recorded a verdict of misadventure, saying Mr Norris died as a result of hypoxic brain injury brought about by hanging.

When deciding the verdict Mr Nelson asked for input from Mr Norris’ family. Mr Nelson asked if they believed his actions were done with the intention of taking his own life and whether they believed he thought he was going to be rescued.

His mother Mrs Norris believed it was a “cry for help” and that he “definitely” thought he would be rescued.

Speaking after the inquest, Charlotte Fitton, 21, Gary's ex partner of six years and the mother to one-year-old Thomas, said: "Gary was the best dad. He wanted to turn his life around for his son. 

"He always had goals and he wanted to own his own business and his own house. He wanted the best for Thomas and he wanted to give him the best life."