THE inquest of the grandad whose lungs were washed out with detergent has been adjourned.

William Hannah, 68 from Bolton, was admitted to Salford Royal Hospital in September of 2017 after being hit by car. He developed pneumonia while in hospital, requiring a lung wash. During the procedure, a doctor accidentally used detergent instead of saline solution due to a mislabelled bottle. The grandad-of-three died the next day, though it is not yet known if the accident contributed to his death.

The inquest into his death was due to be held yesterday but was adjourned until July 8 at Bolton Coroners Court. A key expert witness was unable to attend.