A GANG of vicious thugs repeatedly stabbed a man and dropped a television on his skull before badly injuring a Good Samaritan passer-by who tried to call police.

At Manchester Crown Court Kieron Walters and Michael Hayes were jailed for a total of 24 years for their part in violent attacks, which left victims with fractured skulls, vertebra and other bones as well as cuts and bruises.

Andrew Smith, prosecuting, told how Jonathan Boardman was in his flat in Mere Gardens at 7am on July 8 last year with friend Bernice Bennett when neighbour, 31-year-old Hayes and nine others, including Walters, smashed their way into the property.

“Jonathan was struck to the head with such force that he described hearing his skull crack,” said Mr Smith.

The court heard that Mr Boardman had previously supplied drugs from his flat and the intruders demanded money and to be told where the “stuff” was.

The gang, who were attempting to conceal their identities using hoods and scarves, with Hayes wearing a motorbike helmet, ransacked the flat.

One man attacked Mr Boardman with a baseball bat.

“Another male repeatedly stabbed Jonathan with a knife as he jumped around like a ‘madman’,” said Mr Smith.

The attack continued as Mr Boardman slumped to the floor against a sofa, unable to move. He was repeatedly struck with the bat while the knife was plunged towards him at least 10 times.

“Most disturbingly, not content with the use of a knife and baseball bats to deliver repeated blows the male, who [Ms Bennett] described as wielding the knife, then picked up a television and repeatedly dropped it onto Jonathan’s head whilst he lay motionless and completely vulnerable,” said Mr Smith.

Mr Boardman was in an induced coma for three days and in hospital for nine days, suffering from a fractured skull and facial bones, a bleed on the brain and cuts. He now suffers flashbacks and nightmares.

As the attack on Mr Boardman was happening warehouseman Adam Roberts, who was returning home from work, passed the flat and heard the disturbance.

But as he called police four men, including Hayes and Walters, ran out of the building.

“One was carrying a baseball bat and another a metal pole,” said Mr Smith.

“The male with the bat immediately ran towards Adam and struck him across the head whilst shouting “Take his money, grab his phone, slash him, get him”.

Mr Roberts was hit over the head with the pole and repeatedly punched and kicked after he was knocked to the ground.

One of the group suggested slashing his face. “He was ... aware of the group repeatedly stamping on his head and body,” said Mr Smith.

Mr Roberts was robbed of his phone, cash, keys and rucksack. He suffered a fractured vertebra, broken and and multiple cuts and bruises.

Walters, aged 26, of no fixed address was arrested nearby and 31-year-old Hayes was arrested when he returned to his flat.

Mr Roberts’ blood was found on Walters’ trainers and his DNA was identified on Hayes’ trainers and clothing.

Both Hayes and Walters pleaded guilty to intentionally causing grievous bodily harm to Mr Boardman and robbing Mr Roberts.

Walters also admitted causing grievous bodily harm to Steven McConnell in a separate incident on May 26 last year.

Mr McConnell, who suffers from Crohns disease, brittle bones and IBS was dragged into the bathroom of his flat by a drunken Walters who smashed a mirror over his head, repeatedly punched him and stabbed him with a dart board dart.

He suffered a fractured skull, punctured lung and other injuries.

David Toal, defending Walters, who has a history of violent offending, said: “This is a defendant who is very aware he needs to change.”

Alison Heyworth, for Hayes, said he was in care from being a toddler, expelled from school at 14 and had turned to drugs.

The Honorary Recorder of Manchester, Judge David Stockdale QC gave Walters an extended sentence for public protection. He was jailed for a total of 15 years, with a further five years on licence and will not be eligible to apply for parole for nine years.

Hayes was jailed for nine years with a minimum of four and half years behind bars.

“This is offending of the most serious order,” said the judge.