A TUMBLE dryer caught fire in the early hours of this morning, the couple in the house were "very lucky" said a firefighter.

The fire service was called at around 4am this morning to a mid-terrace property in Darwen Road, Bromley Cross.

There they found the contents of a tumble dryer had caught fire and smoke-logged the house.

Watch manager Andrew Kopicki from Bolton North Fire Station attended the scene with his crew.

He said: "The occupants were lucky, very lucky.

"They were alerted by the smell of smoke but they didn't have any smoke alarms."

As well as putting the fire out and ventilating the property to remove the smoke firefighters fitted smoke alarms to the property.

They were at the home for around 40 minutes.

Mr Kopicki said: "It's very important to have smoke alarms and if you require a free home fire safety check contact the fire service."

During a home safety check firefighters will give advice on fire safety and fit smoke alarms free of charge.

To arrange a home fire safety check call 0800 555 815.