AN OUTBUILDING was damaged in a fire after cooking was left unattended.

The building, which contains a small kitchen is in the garden of a house in Hill Cot Road, Sharples.

Fire crews from Bolton Central and Bolton North Community Fire Stations were called to the incident at around 11pm on Monday.

The outbuilding suffered smoke damage but no one was injured.

A spokesman from Bolton North Community Fire Station said: "There's smoke damage to the ceiling of the building.

"Nobody was in the building at the time so nobody was injured. Someone had just left cooking unattended.

"Luckily the smoke alarm went off and we just used a hose reel to deal with it."

In April, a number of fires in Bolton and Salford prompted Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service to issue a warning about leaving cooking unattended.

Area Manager Paul Etches, Head of Prevention said: “These incidents highlight how important it is to keep an eye on your cooking at all times and to make sure your smoke alarm works.

“More than half of accidental fires in the home start because of something to do with cooking, so it is vitally important to be aware of how you can keep your home safe.

“It only takes a second for a fire to start and if left unattended the consequences could be severe.

“Never leave your cooking unattended and test your smoke alarm tonight.”