PEOPLE living close to a recycling centre were warned to keep their windows and doors closed this morning after a blaze broke out.

Firefighters were called to the fire involving a “quantity of recyclable waste” at J Dickinson & Sons, in Station Road, Blackrod, shortly before 9.40pm last night.

Plumes of “thick smoke” could be seen by motorists on the M61, just metres from the site.

At the height of the blaze, three fire engines were at the scene tackling it. One fire engine remained at 9am this morning and the fire has since been put out.

No one is thought to have been injured in the blaze and bosses at the recycling centre claim there has not been any damage to the site.

The business reopened as normal this morning.

Alison Angus, health and safety compliance manager at J Dickinson & Sons, described the incident as a “small waste fire” at the back of the centre.

She added: “It was quickly brought under control and there was no damage.

“We do not know how it started, the premises was secure at the time.”

Pictures posted on social media show smoke emanating from the factory.

Ged Smith, who lives in nearby Bensey Rise, said he saw “thick smoke” drifting across the M61 as he was driving along the motorway at about 10.30pm.

He said: “The smoke was coming across the motorway, it looked like quite a big fire.

“This is not the first time there has been a fire there. Last time, we could see the flames coming over the motorway.”