A THREE-year-old girl is in a critical condition in hospital after a house fire in Hindley.

The blaze broke out at a property in Haworth Street in the early hours of this morning, with Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service being called to the scene at around 2am.

Two young children aged two and three were in the house with their parents, and all four had to be rescued by firefighters.

CPR was performed on the older child after she had suffered from smoke inhalation.

The two-year-old was rescued from the property after being dropped from a first-floor window onto a blanket, and all four were then taken to hospital.

Four fire engines attended the incident and remained in the area for several hours.

A spokesperson for Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service said the fire started in the kitchen of the family home after a chip pan was left unattended.

The kitchen has been badly damaged as a result of the blaze, while there is also smoke damage to the rest of the house.

The fire is not being treated as suspicious.