A DRUG driver who led police on a 15-minute car chase around Bolton has avoided jail.

In a shocking video, seen by Bolton Crown Court, Aidan Naylor drove the wrong way along St Peter’s Way, forcing nine oncoming vehicles to swerve out of his way, including a HGV.

The 23-year-old also took his car off-road, cutting across Thomasson Park to get from Brownlow Way to Vernon Street.

At points, Naylor’s speed was clocked at 110mph, he went through a number of red traffic lights and ignored multiple road signs and markings.

Naylor eventually lost the police and abandoned his car in Manchester Road, before him and two passengers fled the scene.

They then emerged from a row of trees at the junction with Rowena Street and Naylor admitted full responsibility.

Police checks revealed the car to have no registered owner and no insurance, according to prosecution barrister Rachel Widdicombe.

It was also found that Naylor only held a provisional driving licence.

At the police station, a blood sample was taken from Naylor showed that he was over the limit for cocaine and benzoylecgonine

He also tested positive for cannabis but was not over the limit.

In his interview, Naylor told police: “I am sorry, I am stupid” and also referenced that he had been to a party and taken drugs before getting behind the wheel of the car.

Naylor, of Camrose Gardens, Halliwell, pleaded guilty to dangerous driving, driving without a licence, driving without insurance, and two counts of driving under the influence of drugs at Bolton Magistrates’ Court last month.

Defending, James Preece said: “He was recently denied access to his young daughter which triggered negative feelings, which he turned to alcohol and drugs to deal with.

“He is remorseful and now has positive influences in his life including his girlfriend.

“I ask your honour to consider a suspended sentence. He has had no problems with the police whatsoever since he committed this crime.”

Judge Richard Gioserano decided to suspend Naylor’s sentence, saying his honesty with the police and probation service stood him in good stead.

He said: “You admitted things potentially to your detriment, you admitted you had been at a party and you admitted at the time you thought it was a bit of fun. I don’t think you see it as a bit of fun now.

“I knew before watching the footage that there wasn’t a crash but people who didn’t know that would watch the footage with their heart in their mouth. You had no regards for anyone’s safety. How nobody was hurt or killed is a matter of good fortune

“In my judgment, there is probably just enough here to suspend the sentence, due in no small part due to your frankness and honesty with the police and the author of your pre-sentence report. If somebody had been hurt, there would have been no chance of the sentence being suspended.”

Naylor received a 14 month sentence, suspended for two years, a six-month curfew between 9pm and 6am, 200 hours of unpaid work and a two-year driving ban.