A KNIFE attack on a teenager in the early hours at a Bolton hotel ‘”could have been lethal”, a court heard.

Victim Robert Ricketts, 18, was left with post-traumatic stress disorder after Callum Chesterfield stabbed him in the back at the Travelodge in River Road, the town’s crown court was told.

The pair had been helping Chesterfield’s ex-girlfriend, Ellie Getliffe, back to the River Street Travelodge when the situation turned violent.

Drunk and high on cocaine Chesterfield, 17, who had been suffering from mental health problems, was arrested by police in a hotel stairwell a short time later.

Chesterfield, of Sedgewick Close, Westhoughton, who pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm to Mr Ricketts was remanded in custody and will be sentenced today by Judge Martin Walsh.

Colin Buckle, prosecuting, said Mr Ricketts and Miss Getliffe had been on a night out in Bolton with friends and she was “the worse for wear” through drink, and had to be escorted back to the hotel.

Mr Ricketts was contacted by Chesterfield, her ex-partner, but he insisted he would look after Miss Getliffe.

However when they got back to the Travelodge, said Mr Buckle, Chesterfield was there and the pair both helped her to her room.

Mr Buckle said that once inside, Chesterfield emptied his pockets and it was apparent he was carrying a lock-knife.

Mr Ricketts continued to insist he would care for the girl but at one point Chesterfield held the knife to his face and slashed his forehead with it.

Mr Buckle said Mr Ricketts decided to leave but as he was nearing the door, he realised he had been stabbed in the back. He staggered to reception and the police were alerted.

One surgeon, who saw the 10cm wound to his back, which led to three-and-a-half litres of blood being lost, said: “If treatment had not been given at the right time, the stab wound could have proved to be lethal.”

John Kennerley, defending, said his client. who had no previous convictions, accepted he had acted “atrociously” on the night. His behaviour had shocked family and friends.

He told the court Chesterfield had been hospitalised during a town centre incident, in February, at which Mr Ricketts had been present.

Remanding Chesterfield in custody, Judge Walsh said: “This is a classic example of what can happen, in the heat of emotion, when someone has a knife in a public place.”