A BEDROOM has been left “gutted” after a TV caught fire at a house in Tonge Moor.

The blaze broke out in the front upstairs bedroom of a terraced home in Moorfield Grove this afternoon.

Firefighters from Bolton Central and Bolton North fire stations rushed to the scene to tackle the fire, which is understood to have been caused by an electrical fault in a television set.

Neighbours spotted the rising flames from the street and managed to raise the alarm in time for a woman who was in the house to escape.

No one was hurt in the incident, although extensive damage has been caused to the bedroom and several items of furniture within it.

There was also some slight damage to the brickwork outside the bedroom window.

Michelle Watkin, who lives in the property, said: “It is devastating, the room has been completely gutted.

“I did not know much about it. I was in the kitchen putting the bins out and making my son’s tea at the time.

“Someone across the road came running into the house and said the upstairs bedroom was on fire.

“I got out and saw the flames in the window.

“I have been told to stay somewhere else tonight because of the damage.”