ELDERLY people were evacuated this afternoon after a kitchen fire broke out.

Bolton fire crews were called to Jubilee House in Gas Street after a tea towel was accidentally left over a burning hob.

Firefighters responded at 12.50pm to the flats for elderly residents.

Firefighters said a resident left a tea towel on the hob without realising the fire was still burning.

A smoke alarm went off and the building was evacuated.

Fire crews from Bolton Central Fire Station warned residents to keep an eye on their hobs and avoid putting any items on top of cookers.