THE former director of a Bolton takeaway firm - which was rapped after a dead beetle was found in a meal - has been banned over an immigration raid.

Home Office immigration officers swooped on Taslima, a Bangladeshi outfit in Thicketford Road, in February 2018, according to the Insolvency Service.

Two illegal immigrants were found working at the premises and then-director Jahirul Hoque was issued with a £30,000 penalty notice, under The Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006.

READ MORE: Dead beetle in a meal at Taslima takeaway

But this penalty still remains outstanding - 17 months on - and proceedings have now been taken to formally disqualify him as a company director.

The Bolton News: The state of the takeaway following a raid last yearThe state of the takeaway following a raid last year

Hoque, 46, of Lavender Road, Bolton, is now barred from acting in the management or promotion of a company for five years.

He was terminated as a company director of Taslima (Bolton) Ltd on July 8, a position he had held since October 2012.

An Insolvency Service spokesman said: "Taslima was issued with a penalty notice in the sum of £30,000, which remains unpaid. He was in office as a director of the company at the time."

Earlier this year the Bolton News reported that the takeaway was now being run by Shahid Miah and improvements had been made.

Last August it emerged that the takeaway, under Hoque's stewardship, had been hit by an infestation of Dermestes beetles.

The Bolton News: The filthy takeaway following a raid last yearThe filthy takeaway following a raid last year

One customer had found a dead beetle in a meal bought there, Bolton magistrates were told, with concerns being expressed about the "horrific" conditions there then.

Hoque and the business, after pleading guilty to 12 food safety and hygiene offences, were fined £3,500 and ordered to pay court costs of £3,448.

Prosecutors blasted Hoque for poor cleaning practices and a blatant disregard for potential food contamination.

Another follow-up visit later still identified yet more cleaning regime and structural defects, the court heard.

He temporarily closed the premises while the problems were addressed. Mr Miah took over the business later.