TWO men have been jailed after a Facebook feud resulted in the stabbing of one teenager and the vicious assault of another.

Appearing together at Bolton Crown Court for sentencing, via videolink, Brandon Brooks, 18, and Thomas Smethurst, 19, had both pleaded guilty to taking part in an attack on Macauley Farnworth in May this year in which the victim had his front two teeth knocked out.

The assault happened while Brooks, of Hibernian Street, Bolton, was on bail for a more serious assault in June 2018, in which victim Marcus Gledhill was stabbed by Brooks.

Prosecutor Maria Brannan told the court how physical threats had been made between two groups on Facebook before things escalated on June 10 last year.

The court heard that at around 4.30pm, Brooks was in a car with a number of other people when they spotted Mr Gledhill cycling in Deepdale Road.

Someone was heard to say: “is that him there?” before the car started chasing Mr Gledhill who rode off on his bike. Brooks began chasing his victim, who hid behind a car before escaping into a building on foot where he slipped and was stabbed by Brooks with a flick knife which was described as having a five-inch blade.

Mr Gledhill managed to hide in a room and Brooks ran off, but not before he was seen by the victim’ sister, who shouted “what the f*** have you done?”

The victim was treated by neighbours before being taken to Manchester Royal Infirmary where he was treated for two stab wounds.

Ms Brannan said Brooks was arrested and later appeared at Bolton Crown Court for a Newton Hearing where he was convicted of contempt of court after taking seven photos of Mr Gledhill and his sister in the court waiting room before sending them to friends who posted them on Facebook with one captioned: “Snitches get stitches”.

Ms Brannan went on to describe a second incident on May 6 this year involving victim Macauley Farnworth, who said he was cycling home from work on Bridgeman Street when he was followed by two cars, one of which was driven by Smethurst, of Hawthorne Street, Bolton. Mr Farnworth fell off his bike and began running, but was caught by Smethurst, who, along with Brooks and another man, began punching and kicking their victim resulting in Mr Farnworth losing his two front teeth.

Colin Buckle, defending Brooks, who pleaded guilty to wounding with a knife, contempt of court, causing actual bodily harm and possession of an offensive weapon, said his client’s only mitigation was his age and guilty pleas, but added that Brooks had “the understanding of a 10 to 11-year-old”.

“There are vulnerabilities about him and his ability to make informed decisions is limited,” said Mr Buckle, who added his client had no previous convictions and had suffered a "horrific” time on remand in prison.

Smethurst’s defending barrister, Shirlie Duckworth, said her client, who pleaded guilty to charges of causing actual bodily harm, driving while disqualified and driving without insurance, worked as a painter and decorator and had “aspirations for his future”.

“There are prospects for his future that do not involve a revolving door back into detention,” she added.

Addressing Brooks, who was sentenced to 42 months in a young offenders’ institute, Judge Graeme Smith, said: “This is not the first time you have been in front of me and you have given me no choice whatsoever but custody.”

Handing Smethurst, who had 15 convictions for 24 previous offences, a sentence of 24 months imprisonment, Judge Smith told the 19-year-old he had “extensive previous convictions for someone your age”.

Both men will be released from prison on licence.