A "LOVING son who was devoted to his family" died after being hit by a train, an inquest heard.

Firomsa Kedir Habit, 25, was last seen by his family at around 5pm on February 4, when he left the family home in Jessie Street, Deane, to take his younger siblings to mosque.

A witness at the mosque confirmed that he saw Firomsa around the same time, Bolton Coroner's Court heard.

It was not until 5.48am the next day that a train driver spotted Firomsa on the train tracks, close to Heaton Cemetery.

Pathologist Dr Charles Wilson described how Firomsa had suffered "severe, devastating and unsurvivable" head injuries.

Dr Wilson added that there was no evidence of third party involvement.

Toxicology reports showed that Firomsa had smoked cannabis within hours of being found.

Detective Constable Lee Parsons of British Transport Police said that they could not track Firomsa's movements between leaving the mosque and his death on CCTV, due to it being dark and him wearing dark clothing.

He added that Firomsa's body was found in an area with no clear access points nearby.

Around 90 services went through the area between 5pm and the 10.35pm - when the last train of February 4 passed through.

DC Parsons said there was no way of tracking the exact service responsible.

The court head that Firomsa was born in Ethiopia and moved to Kenya when he was eight years old.

He moved to the UK in 2008 with his family, originally living in Little Hulton before coming to Bolton.

His family described him as "academically bright" and said he had many friends at school.

Firomsa went to university and gained a degree and was hoping to go onto further education - taking a job in a warehouse to help save up for his studies.

Upon finishing university, he moved back to his family home in August 2018, which is also when he had his first consultation with Dr Abdul Wahid Atcha at Olive Family Practice.

A scheduled ten minute appointment on August 31 lasted half an hour and ended in a referral to the mental health team.

Dr Atcha said: "He looked unkempt, he was really upset, and he was struggling to look me in the eye.

"After probing, he explained that he couldn't tell what was real and what wasn't.

"He heard voices, he had to cover his laptop and any LEDs as he felt he was being watched."

Firomsa also told Dr Atcha that over the past seven years he had peer pressured into taking cocaine, MDMA, Xanax and "pills he didn't know the name of".

He also drank alcohol on and off and smoked "four to five spliffs" of cannabis daily.

Firomsa said he stopped taking most of the drugs and drinking in January 2018, continuing to smoke cigarettes and cannabis.

He told Dr Atcha that he had turned back to religion to protect himself and bring him back to normality.

Despite the mental health team trying to engage with Firomsa, he did not co-operate and the eventually discharged him on December 12.

He continued to meet with Dr Atcha and told him he was "feeling better in himself".

Dr Atcha added that Firomsa never expressed any suicidal thoughts and told Bolton Coroner's Court that he was "really, really upset" when he heard about his death.

Rachel Syed, assistant coroner for Manchester West reached a conclusion of misadventure, with a medical cause of death as a head injury.

She said: "Sadly I'm satisfied that the exact circumstances will only ever be known by Firomsa himself.

"His death understandably came as a shock to everyone.

"I'm not satisfied that the suicide test has been met, especially as there is no evidence of intent.

"I'm satisfied that he entered the train tracks of his own volition but I'm not satisfied that he intended the consequences of being struck by a train.

"I offer my heartfelt condolences to Firomsa's family who described him as a loving son, devoted to his family. I hope you can remember him on those loving terms."