FIREFIGHTERS are warning people not to leave cooking unattended after a kitchen fire this evening.

Crews were called to Pentland Terrace in Halliwell at 7pm after fire sparked by a pan of oil broke out.

Firefighter James Bracegirdle said: "The property was fitted with smoke alarms which sounded.

"The flat and the kitchen suffered smoke damage."

He added: "We would ask people to ensure they have working smoke alarms and not to leave cooking unattended."

Crews were on the scene for 45 minutes