FIREFIGHTERS tackled a blaze in a living room last night.

Emergency services were called to reports of a fire in a living room at around 9pm last night.

Firefighters arrived to find a living room on fire in Fearney Side, Little Lever.

One adult and two children had managed to escape the house by the time fire engines reached the address.

The fire was started by coal, according to Farnworth fire station watch manager Mike O'Neill.

He said: "It was a coal fire that spread to material in the living room.

"There was one fire engine from Bolton fire station and two from Farnworth. It was the smoke alarms that alerted the occupier to the fire.

"Crew will be going back to the area to give advice and answer any questions to residents today."