POLICE have now named the man who died at the site of a chimney earlier this week.

The man who died in the Dixon's Chimney tragedy on Monday, after more than 15 hours of rescue efforts, has been named by police and his family have come forward to share a touching tribute.

The man has been formally identified as 53-year-old Robert Philip Longcake, known as Phil to his family and friends, said police in a statement just released. Police say he lived in the Carlisle area.

In a poignant tribute statement, his family said he was a 'strong, brave' dad and granddad.

The family said: "Phil was a strong, brave man who achieved a lot in his short life.

"Sadly, due to recent disclosures he made about historic trauma he suffered, Phil was battling with his mental health, with the love and support of his family and health professionals whilst trying to overcome this."

"He was a keen motorcyclist and would often spend weekends away with his son, Robert. He loved fell walking with his dog Ted and was a passionate musician who played the guitar, piano and accordion.

"He also loved to sing, and did his own covers of popular music.

"Phil was a fantastic granddad to his three grandchildren, James, George and William. They adored him.

"Phil had many wonderful and happy times with his family, and these memories will be treasured by his loved ones.

"Phil will be very much missed by his wife Andrea, his two children Robert and Laura and their partners Sarah and Darren, grandchildren James, George and William, dad Bill and brother John, and all his friends and those that knew him."

Funeral arrangements are yet to be confirmed, and are by invitation only.

The family have asked for donations to be made to the mental health charity MIND in memory of Mr Longcake. The family have said there should be no floral tributes.

The Bolton News:

Panic began among residents on Monday, with local reports saying shouts and wailing could be heard coming from the 270ft tall chimney in the early hours of this morning, before police arrived on the scene.

As early morning mist cleared, the figure could be seen at the top and a massive rescue effort was launched, with emergency services, steeplejacks and a helicopter scrambled.

Two difficult rescue attempts were made but both failed due to concerns over how securely the man was attached to the ladder at the top of the chimney and because of the risk of backdraft from the helicopter involved.

But at 4.45pm, paramedics reached the man, who was in his 50s and from Carlisle, and pronounced him dead at the scene.

Police and fire teams have sent their wishes to the family of the man. Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service, which helped with the attempted rescues, said on Twitter: "Our thoughts are with the family and friends."