The University of Bolton has issued guidance to anyone wishing to donate clothing and toiletries following a huge fire at student accommodation last night.

At around 8.30pm fire crews were called to the six-storey Cube building on Bradshawgate.

At its height around 200 firefighters were tackling the blaze.

Uni bosses say they have received "fantastic" so far and have urged anyone with supplies to take them to Chancellors Mall on University Way.

The Bolton News:

Messages on the University of Bolton's Twitter account say: "Members of the #UoBolton family need our help.

"Following last night’s fire at a student accommodation block we request donations of necessary supplies such as clothing and toiletries be taken to the drop off point: Chancellors Mall, University Way.

"In addition we have a helpline that is for concerned friends and relatives only to call: 01204 903733."

They added: "The community rallying round is fantastic. For all those offering donations of food, clothes, and other essentials please visit The University of Bolton Chancellors Mall Building. Thank you again for your support.

The Bolton News:

"We’d like to thank GM Fire for their swift action. We have a crisis action team based at the UoB Chancellor mall. We encourage anyone affected to come and get the help they need."

A town centre homeless charity is opening its doors to students affected by the Cube blaze this morning.

Bolton Community Kitchen on Bradshawgate will be providing students with hot food and drinks as well as essential items including clothes and quilts.

Gaynor Harrow, from BCK, said: "We usually do this for the homeless but we just want to help the students out." 

Bolton Council of Mosques is also offering support to students from its base in Vicarage Street.

Imtaz Ali, a spokesman from BCOM, said: "This is a tragic incident and it is at times like this when we all come together for those who are affected."

Assistant Chief Fire Officer Tony Hunter, said: “Our crews have done a fantastic job bringing this fire under control, in what have been very challenging circumstances. I want to praise their swift action, which has prevented the fire from spreading to adjacent buildings.

“I’m pleased the say that we are now scaling back our response, and we will remain at the scene for the next few hours as we tackle the remaining pockets of fire.

“Our priority now, is ensuring that all residents of The Cube register at Orlando Village on Thynne Street, Bolton so we know they are safe and well.”

Students who have been evacuated are being urged to go to Orlando Village student accommodation, Thynne Street, BL3 6BA.