Bolton South police have urged parents to be vigilant with their children in a warning about the dangers of using Nitrous Oxide.

In a post on their Facebook page yesterday afternoon, the team shared photos of a large number of small silver canisters found by Neighbourhood Officers Jordan and Paul on Greenland Road.

Greater Manchester Police said: "If you take to much Nitrous Oxide you risk falling unconscious and/or suffocating to lack of oxygen, people have died this way.

"Nitrous oxide is becoming more and more popular – please be vigilant with your children and make them aware of the health implications of this dangerous substance.

"Neighbourhood officers are becoming more aware of where youths are using this substance and will be patrolling these areas."

Nitrous Oxide is a colourless non-flammable gas, with a slight metallic scent and taste.

Inhaling the gas straight from the canister is extremely dangerous – the gas is under such high pressure that it can cause throat muscles to spasm and for the user to stop breathing.

When taken, the drug slows down your brain and your body's responses, and it can be hard to judge the safe amount to use which can lead to fainting.

Heavy regular use can cause vitamin B12 deficiency, causing nerve damage, numbness in fingers and toes, and an inability to form white blood cells.

Nitrous Oxide is a psychoactive drug and is covered by the 2016 Psychoactive Substances Act, which means it’s illegal to give away or sell – supply and production can lead to up to seven years in prison, an unlimited fine, or both.