A PRISONER flew into a rage when he spotted a man who had been dating his girlfriend while he was locked up in jail.

After his release Dominic Holt made threats towards Martin Taylor and attacked him when he came across him in the street.

Simon Barrett, prosecuting, told Bolton Crown Court how Mr Taylor had been in a relationship with Zara Marsh for several months until July this year, unaware that she had also previously been seeing Holt, who was in prison.

Holt found out about the relationship and, after he was released from jail on licence, decided to confront Mr Taylor.

After visiting his flat and making threats, Holt spotted his victim walking towards Bolton town centre with a friend on July 29 and grabbed Mr Taylor, telling him: “I told you I would get you.”

Mr Barrett added that Holt got rid of Mr Taylor’s friend by threatening to stab him if he did not leave and then robbed Mr Taylor. After demanding cash he threw Mr Taylor over a hedge.

As shocked pedestrians called police, during a struggle which lasted several minutes, Holt got Mr Taylor in a headlock, felt his pockets and stole a mobile phone and cigarettes before kicking his victim in the back and running off.

Mr Taylor was left with a sore back, neck and scratches and, in a statement, told the court that he now afraid to leave his flat.

Holt, who has previous convictions for theft and burglary, was arrested for the offence after he was also caught burgling Sams newsagents at Longsight, Harwood, on October 27.

Mr Barrett told how police were called after passers-by noticed the shop front window smashed and people inside at 2.30am. Cigarettes and alcohol were stolen and police arrested Holt, of no fixed address, nearby. He pleaded guilty to robbery and burglary.

Nicholas Ross, defending, told the Honorary Recorder of Bolton, Judge Martin Walsh: “He understands there will be an immediate custodial sentence.

“When he saw Martin Taylor the red mist descended. He admits, with candour, that he was under the influence of drugs. His intention was to confront Mr Taylor ad, unfortunately, it got out of hand.”

Judge Walsh sentenced Holt to two years and eight months in prison, telling him: “There were no serious injuries but, clearly, there was considerable distress caused to the victim.”