A VIOLENT, jealous boyfriend smashed his partner’s phone and attacked her.
Bolton Crown Court heard how 19-year-old James Rhodes and the girl began seeing each other in December last year.

But Helen Longworth, prosecuting, told how he became controlling.

“He stopped her from having social media outlets such as Instagram or Snapchat and prevented any male contacts on Facebook,” she said. “He controlled what she did and who she socialised with.

“He was very violent towards her, first occasionally, but then more frequently towards the end of the relationship.

“Sometimes he would slap her and sometimes he would pull her hair. She describes him, on one occasion, grabbing her head and smacking it against a wall.”

The court heard how on July 3 they had an argument because another man had liked one of her photographs.

They met up at Rhodes’ home, had sex but then he became angry and grabbed her by the throat, threw her on the bed and punched her.

The woman fled to the back garden to try and find someone to help her but Rhodes pulled her back inside. She eventually managed to get out and rang police using a neighbour’s phone as he tipped her clothes into the street.

He was arrested and released under investigation but four days later they met up again, with Rhodes collecting her in a car.

Miss Longworth told how the pair headed towards Rivington, stopping on Matchmoor Lane.

Rhodes, of Tonge Moor Road, Bolton, demanded to see the new phone she had to replace the one he had broken. “He wanted to check her phone to see whether or not she had been in contact with other men,” said Miss Longworth.

He snatched it from her and , shouted abuse and grabbed her by the hair, dragging her back into the car when she tried to walk away. Rhodes hit her, telling her: “Both of us are going to die today.”

Passers-by called police. “They were concerned about her and could hear her screaming,” said Miss Longworth, who added that He smashed her phone and she managed to escape when the car stopped at traffic lights.

Rhodes, who has previous convictions, pleaded guilty to using controlling or coercive behaviour. Henry Blackshaw, defending, told The Honorary Recorder of Bolton that Rhodes’ behaviour had been due to immaturity and he has now changed.

“He is a very different person now than when he was offending,” he said.

Judge Walsh sentenced Rhodes to 16 months in a young offenders’ institution, suspended of two years.

As part of an intensive community order he was ordered to undertake 120 hours of unpaid work and participate in 30 days of a relationships programme and 20 days of rehabilitation activities.

A restraining order was made banning him from contacting his victim.