BORIS Johnson has cancelled his visit to Westhoughton over "security concerns".

The Prime Minister was in the Bolton area this morning and was due to appear in Westhoughton high street at 12.30pm alongside Tory candidate Chris Green.

However Labour protestors lined the streets in the hours leading up to the visit and the visit has been called off.

Conservative Party officials say that the visit was "too risky" and cited security concerns as the reason for the change of plan.

There was a large police presence outside Westhoughton Market where protests came to a head.

It is understood that police were called to "an alleged assault" at the market, in Market Street, which was placed on lockdown. Officers at the scene described the situation as "a disturbance".

Traders in the market told the Bolton News that protesters tried to force their way inside, but Labour activists say they are here for a peaceful protest.

A woman is believed to have become trapped in the door as she was pushed out of the market, as shown in footage seen by The Bolton News.

Verbal clashes continued in Westhoughton for around an hour after the "disturbance", with market traders angry that Labour activists and protestors "ruined" a chance to show off Bolton to the Prime Minister.

A Labour campaign source said: "We are shocked that a 64 year old nurse and Labour activist has been assaulted today. A report has been filed with the police.

"We hope that all parties will support the democratic process, and the right for people to peacefully protest against the cuts inflicted on our society under a decade of Tory austerity."

Police left that afternoon, saying they were continuing to look into the alleged assault but had not arrested anyone.

Vendors had baked cakes and arranged flowers ahead of the Prime Minister's arrival, and were eagerly anticipating his visit.

Westhoughton was planned to be the latest stop in Boris Johnson's tour ahead of the General Election.

It is the second campaign outing that he has cancelled in the past 24 hours, after a speech he was due to make to Tory supporters in Rochester yesterday was called off last minute.