TWO police officers have been praised for helping to recover stolen Christmas presents.

A Farnworth family woke up to a festive nightmare on December 25 when they discovered their home on Buckley Lane had been burgled.

Numerous items had been taken from the property, including their children’s Christmas gifts.

Enquires described as “extensive and diligent” were launched in an attempt to solve the crime which led PC Shaw and PC Von-Vadkerthy to a location, where they found the items. 

A 29-year-old man from Bolton has been charged with burglary in a dwelling.

A woman aged 38, was arrested on suspicion of burglary and has been released under investigation.

Inspector William Jennings-Wharton, of GMP’s Bolton division, said: “Sadly at this time of year we often deal with people who do not usually have dealings with the police, especially those who are victims of crime.

"Burglary is an extremely emotive crime, which is heightened at Christmas time especially when it involves children.

"The officers worked incredibly hard and their extensive enquiries enabled us to obtain information about the whereabouts of the presents, before we were able to recover them.

“I would like to take this opportunity to thank PC Shaw and PC Von-Vadkerthy for their swift response and hard work.”

In a wonderful gesture before the presents were recovered, local community group Homeless Aid UK heard of the burglary and kindly donated gifts to the children.

Homeless Aid UK enlists around 300 volunteers across the UK and provides much needed services to homeless people and poverty-stricken families including providing hampers full of essentials to elderly people and toys for children.

On December 19, the charity hosted a Christmas party for the homeless including a three course meal.

Billa Ahmed, co-founder of Homeless Aid UK, added: “When it was explained to me how the family’s gifts had been stolen it was heartbreaking as no one should go without presents at Christmas.

“I was knackered from all the work we’ve done over Christmas but I felt I had to do something and I put out a shout on Facebook to see if anyone could help and we soon had lots of donations.”