THE FIRE SERVICE has warned people to make sure their chimneys are kept clean following a chimney fire in Breightmet on Thursday.

The fire was caused by a gas fire setting soot and a bird's nest alight. A gas engineer was called out to isolate the gas and fire crews put out the blaze. No one was hurt.

Crew manager Bracegirdle said: "We advise homeowners to have their chimneys swept after a period of non-usage before starting a fire."

He also advised that homeowners have working smoke alarms installed and to test them regularly.