A FAMILY had a lucky escape after an electric segway board burst into flames and engulfed their home in fire and smoke.

Fire crews were called to the three storey terraced house in Avenue Street, Halliwell, at around 11pm last night.

It is believed that the fire had been caused a fault in the segway which had been charging in the property's hallway.

After the electric transporter caught fire, flames spread to the hallway and stairs and caused "extensive damage".

The fire also caused smoke damage to the rest of the house.

Fortunately all the property's occupants ­— four adults and one child ­— managed to escape to safety after being alerted by smoke alarms.

Firecrews were also able to rescue their pet cat from an upstairs bedroom.

None of the occupants were injured, although one 18-year-old man was given treatment at the scene for the effects of minor smoke inhalation.

Kevin Wright, watch manager at Farnworth Fire Station, said the incident highlighted the importance of having working smoke detectors in your property.

He added: "Also take care when leaving an electrical item on charge for an extended period of time, and if you buy something make sure it is from a reputable company."