A VIOLENT husband repeatedly attacked his wife with weapons, including a meat cleaver and lamp.

Paranoid Rabnawaz Khan threatened to chop off his terrified wife’s limbs and tongue and took some of their five children to see her in her bedroom, telling them she was going to die.

Following a sentencing hearing, held via a Skype video conference at Manchester Minshull Street Crown Court, 42-year-old Khan was jailed for three years and 11 months.

Judge Graeme Smith told him: “As a result of the way you behaved toward your wife, she was absolutely petrified. She was terrified that you would kill her and take the children.”

The court heard that the couple’s 23 year marriage had initially been a good one and they have five children together, aged between 14 weeks and 19 years.

But Charlotte Crangle, prosecuting, said that in 2001 Khan’s mother died and he blamed himself for not taking her to hospital.

Khan began drinking and taking crack cocaine, which became worse when money became available from the sale of the family shop.

For the last 18 years Khan, of Fletcher Street, Bolton, has not worked. He was supported financially by his wife and frequently made unjustified allegations about her being unfaithful.

“He used that as his excuse for not working, suggesting that if he was out of the house during the day, she would have men around,” said Miss Crangle.

“He also would not allow her to go out socialising for that same reason, regularly telling her that he controlled everything in the house."

Miss Crangle said that two weeks before a series of assaults on his wife, starting on October 1 last year, Khan’s behaviour towards his wife worsened.

“She described how he made her feel so worthless that she was frightened to leave him as she felt he was capable of carrying out his threats,” said Miss Crangle.

“He had been using drugs the previous few days and hadn’t been sleeping, and so that served to heighten his paranoia.”

He was still angry the following day and attacked her, punching her and smashing her three or four times over the head with a metal jug.

Khan then went to the kitchen and picked up a meat cleaver and threatened to chop of her limbs, waving it around before hitting her on the legs with the flat side of the knife and dragging her around the living room by her hair.

His accusations continued the next day when he hit her over the head with his mobile phone and she went to lie down because she felt dizzy.

“The defendant brought the children up, telling them she was dying and saying to her to hurry up and die,” said Miss Crangle.

And, while she was feeding a baby in her arms, he punched her in the face then sprayed a can of coke over her and hit her over the head with a lamp.

“He began to panic and called their son to call an ambulance,” said Miss Crangle, who added that police also arrived and arrested Khan.

“When interviewed he suggested it was his wife controlling him rather than him controlling her and she was bullying him,” said Miss Crangle, who added that Khan said he felt justified in hitting his wife.

Khan pleaded guilty to coercive and controlling behaviour and six counts of assault.

The court heard that his wife is in debt through trying to replace the children’s belongings, which Khan had sold to fund his drug habit.

Daniel Lister stressed that, at the time of the attacks on his wife, Khan was suffering from his addiction and mental health problems.

In addition to the jail sentence a restraining order was made banning Khan from contacting his wife for five years.