RESIDENTS were forced to flee their homes in the middle of the night after a van fire.

People living on Carlisle Street, in Bromley Cross, were woken up in the early hours of Sunday morning by the blaze.

Two fire engines spent over an hour tackling the flames, which had spread to a nearby garage and ruined its contents.

Gabby Wale, 18, and her mum Zena, have been left trying to pick up the pieces of their destroyed garden, after flames ravaged their outdoor space.

Miss Wale said: “It was so scary, I’ve never seen anything like it or been in that situation, it was horrible.

“When it happened we were sat by my bedroom window just watching because it was so mesmerising and then there was a loud bang with the fire getting bigger.

“My mum told us all to get out the house, it was so dangerous.

“There were three big gas canisters in the garage too which could have easily blown up and been a lot worse, so we’re very lucky really.”

Residents of neighbouring Blair Street were also woken by the fire.

Multiple reports were made to the emergency services, and two engines from Bolton Central fire station quickly arrived on scene.

A spokesperson for Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) said: “At 4:30 a.m. on Sunday, May 24, two fire engines from Bolton Central fire station were called to reports of a fire on Carlisle Street, Bromley Cross.

“The fire involved a van and had spread to a domestic garage.

“Firefighters used three hose reels and four breathing apparatus to extinguish the fire, and were in attendance for around one hour and twenty minutes.”