A MAN with coronavirus who was placed in an induced coma for three weeks at Royal Bolton Hospital is on the mend after overcoming “impossible odds” following “phenomenal” care from staff.

David Morrissey, who has underlying health conditions including type-one diabetes, was admitted to hospital as his condition deteriorated. After being on a ventilator, he was put in an induced coma for three weeks.

However, despite the severity of his condition, David was released on May 23 - his 70th birthday- and is recovering at home with wife, Beryl.

His son, Ian, said that his dad “overcame impossible odds” after what appeared to be a “slender chance of pulling through”.

He added: “He had gone into hospital on the fourth of April because he had been struggling with his breathing and had been for most of that week. He wasn’t able to move well and was struggling with his daily functioning.

“After we called 111 an ambulance came and took him to hospital. As he has underlying conditions we thought he had a slender chance of pulling through- probably about one in ten.”

However, Ian has added that there are several reasons for his dad’s recovery, including a boost from a footballing legend.

He said: “There are two factors really. For one - his fight. His body was reacting the way doctors wanted it to and now he’s recovering, the doctor has said that his legs are some of the strongest he’s seen.

“The other is that the intensive care unit at the hospital is unrivalled. I feel like they were ahead of the game and the support he got was phenomenal.

“They set up video calls with us so that we could help motivate him and it was just a turning point.”

David’s lifelong team, Manchester United, also sent a letter of support, signed by men and women’s first team managers, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Casey Stoney.

Manchester United legend Sir Alex Ferguson also sent him a get-well-soon card, something that “made his year.”

Daughter Joanna said that the letter from the managers was done by the hospital staff on behalf of David- part of their “outstanding care.”

She added that she and her family had brought in cakes and treats for the staff to thank them for their efforts.

David is now recovering at home and Ian said that “every day has been a step in the right direction” since he left hospital.

He added: “He is back to eating normally, the swelling has gone down, he’s shaving and returning to his old self.

“He’s got such a hunger and has come on leaps and bounds.”