A DRIVER beat a man unconscious with a crow bar after mowing him down at a petrol station car park.

Aqeel Ahmed, aged 23, of Queensgate, Bolton was jailed for four years after admitting attempting to cause grievous bodily harm, dangerous driving and drink driving when he appeared at Manchester Crown Court.

The court heard how Ahmed, driving a VW Touran, had gone to a petrol station on Cheetham Hill Road, Manchester at 2pm on February 25 and gone into the shop demanding staff tell him the address of the premises so he could tell someone to meet him there.

Ahmed, who was seen on CCTV then left the shop and confronted Ifsal Nabi in the car park of the petrol station.

After the row, Ahmed got into his car and drove off before spinning his vehicle around on Cheetham Hill Road and re-entering the petrol station where he mowed down the man who landed on the bonnet of the car.

Ahmed then stopped his car abruptly, causing Mr Nabi to fly off the bonnet and into another parked vehicle.

As the victim lay unconscious on the floor, Ahmed stamped on his head three times.

The driver of the parked vehicle bravely attempted to restrain Ahmed, but he broke free and picked up a crow bar – striking Mr Nabi on the floor several more times.

Police arrived and Ahmed was arrested at the scene.

The Bolton News: Aqeel AhmedAqeel Ahmed

The man suffered a laceration to his scalp that required hospital treatment.

Detective Constable Terry Macmillan of GMP’s City of Manchester District said: “This was an unrelenting attack on a man who Ahmed didn’t even know, that could have caused life threatening injuries.

“If it wasn’t for the bravery of the man who restrained Ahmed and other members of the public who quickly called police, his victim may not have survived. I would like to thank them for their quick-thinking actions that day.

“Ahmed’s attack was senseless and brutal, but thankfully CCTV footage of the events leading up to and after the assault has significantly helped to put this violent man behind bars.”