A round-up of criminals who have appeared before magistrates recently

Shoplifter jailed

MAGISTRATES have jailed a prolific shoplifter for 20 weeks after he ignored a criminal behaviour order banning him from going to Wilko in Bolton.

Wigan magistrates heard how Barry Gillard, aged 40, of Merton Close, Deane, had been made subject to the order in January last year.

But the court heard that, although he completed a community order, he began offending again almost as soon as it was over.

Gillard pleaded guilty to breaching the criminal behaviour order on October 31 last year and stealing £20 of chocolate from Wilko.

He also pleaded guilty to stealing, on the same day, toiletries worth £84 from Superdrug in the town.

In addition to the prison sentence, Gillard was ordered to pay the stores £104 in compensation.

Pregnant woman hit

A MAN who assaulted a heavily pregnant woman as she slept has been jailed for 20 weeks.

At Manchester Magistrates’ Court, Jon Ross Watson, aged 32, of Nuttall Avenue, Little Lever, pleaded guilty to committing the offence on June 24.

He was also ordered to pay £213 in costs and charges.

Breach of the peace

A WOMAN who caused a disturbance has been warned to keep the peace for a month or forfeit £50.

At Wigan and Leigh Magistrates’ Court Laura Dolan, aged 40, of Tonge Moor Road, Bolton, admitted behaviour which caused a breach of the peace on February 21.

She was bound over to keep the peace, especially towards Stuart Evans, in the sum of £50 for one month.

Thief caught with balaclava and cutters

A THIEF who was caught carrying bolt cutters and a balaclava has been been ordered to wear an electronic tag by magistrates.

Wigan magistrates heard how 30-year-old Guy Morrison was caught with the items in Bolton on June 27.

Morrison, of Lavender Road, Bolton, pleaded guilty to going equipped for theft.

He was sentenced to three months in prison, suspended for 12 months and is subject to a 7pm to 7am curfew for three months. He must also a pay £128 victim surcharge.

Motorcycle helmet fine

MAGISTRATES have fined a man £60 after he was caught riding a motorbike without a helmet on Worsley Road, Salford on December 17 last year.

Steven Howarth, aged 33, of Harper Green Road, Farnworth, admitted committing the offence on the Lexmoto motorbike and was also ordered to pay £117 in costs and charges.

Teenager had no licence

A TEENAGER has been fined £80 and had eight points added to his driving record after he admitted using a Ford Focus on Hawthorne Street, Bolton, on December 18 last year, without a licence or insurance.

Magistrates also ordered Usamah Khojbalwala, aged 18, of Roland Road, Bolton, to pay £117 in costs and charges.

Teenager caused a disturbance

A TEENAGER who caused a disturbance has appeared before Manchester magistrates.

Shannon Cauchi, aged 19, of Newcombe Drive, Little Hulton, admitted behaviour which caused a breach of the peace on June 19.

Cauchi agreed to be bound over to keep the peace for six months or forfeit £50.

Nursery thief admits his guilt

A THIEF who stole thousands of pounds worth of equipment from a children’s nursery has admitted his guilt.

At Manchester Magistrates’ Court, Peter McDonagh, aged 38, of Peel Park Crescent, pleaded guilty to stealing eight computer tablets, six cameras, a phone, £388, a doorbell chime and computer items, together worth £2,663.

The court heard how McDonagh had burgled the Tender Years Nursery in New Hall Lane, Heaton, on March 14.

McDonagh also admitted burgling Prescott House Community Health Unit in Little Hulton on May 19, where he stole £1,643 in cash.

The case was adjourned until July 6 when he will be sentenced following the preparation of probation service reports about him.

In the meantime McDonagh was granted bail.

As part of the bail conditions he was electronically tagged and must remain at Peel Park Crescent, or an address in Upland Drive, Little Hulton, every day between 7pm and 6am.

Disorderly behaviour

A WOMAN has been ordered to refrain from disorderly behaviour in public for 12 months or she will forfeit £100.

At Wigan Magistrates’ Court Krystal Oakley, aged 30, of Wellington Street, Farnworth, admitted causing a breach of the peace in Garswood Road, Great Lever, on June 25. She agreed to the bind over order.

Breach of the peace

A WOMAN has been ordered to keep the peace towards her mother and refrain from disorderly behaviour for six months or forfeit £50.

At Wigan and Leigh Magistrates’ Court Phoebe Park, aged 26, of Mary Street, Westhoughton, admitted behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace on June 24.

Man jailed after spitting at police

MAGISTRATES have jailed a man for 28 days after he spat at police during a disturbance in Bolton.

It happened at the Market Place, Bolton, on June 24.

At Wigan and Leigh Magistrates’ Court Steven Taylor, aged 48, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty to harassing PC Coleman by using threatening behaviour.

The court heard that it had been a “serious disturbance with a police officer that involved spitting".

Taylor was also ordered to pay a £128 victim surcharge.

Prison for man who bit woman

A DRUNKEN thug who bit a woman during an assault on her has been jailed for four months.

William Heaney, aged 32, of Wellington Road, Bolton, had initially denied committing the offence on June 23, but at Wigan Magistrates’ Court, changed his plea to guilty.

He also admitted breaching his bail conditions by contacting the woman. A restraining order was made banning him from getting in touch with her.

Jailed after order breach

A MAN who repeatedly contacted a woman in breach of a restraining order has been jailed for 18 weeks by Manchester Magistrates’ Court.

Keith Baines, aged 59, of Viking Street, Bolton, was already subject to a suspended prison sentence for getting in touch with the woman when he committed the offence again on May 23 and between June 15 and 22. In addition to prison, Baines was ordered to pay a £128 surcharge.