A round-up of people who have been dealt with in court

MAGISTRATES have sentenced a man to a conditional discharge for 12 months after he was caught with drugs.

At Bolton Magistrates' Court Babar Khan, aged 34, of Jasmine Court, Bolton, pleaded guilty to possessing a quantity of cocaine and cannabis in Bolton on May 29. Magistrates heard that Khan is now in custody on recall and they ordered that the drugs be forfeited and destroyed.

Unpaid work

A MAN has been ordered to do 80 hours of unpaid work after he admitted assaulting a woman on April 8.

In addition to the work, Wigan magistrates ordered Mohammed Shamas, aged 28, of Sindsley Grove,

Great Lever, to participate in a drug treatment programme for six months and undertake 20 days of rehabilitation activities.

He was also told he must pay a total of £440 in costs and charges.

Bakery worker caught with drugs

A BAKERY worker on his way to his night shift was found to have taken cocaine and cannabis when he was stopped by police for running a red light.

Bolton magistrates heard how father-of-two Abdul Chana was driving his Vauxhall Astra on Victoria Road, Bolton at 9.30pm when he was spotted by officers on February 13.

As well as drugs in his system Nichola Yeadon, prosecuting, told the court that Chana had cocaine and cannabis in the vehicle, which he told police he was going to take after his shift at Greenhalgh’s ended.

Chana, aged 40, of Whitchurch Gardens, Bolton, pleaded guilty to two counts of drug driving.

The court heard that he the married man is of previous good character, is now working at at a pizza factory to support his family and has stopped using drugs.

He was fined £500, banned from driving for 18 months and ordered to pay £117 towards prosecution costs and charges.

Drink driver hit L-test van

A DRIVER was more than three times over the alcohol limit when his vehicle crashed into the van of a man taking his driving test.

Bolton magistrates heard how the man was part way through his van-driving test when Andrew Barnes collided with him at traffic lights on Bolton Road, Atherton, on January 20.

Barnes, aged 45, of Greendale, Atherton, who was also driving a van, was found to have 120mcg of alcohol in 100ml of breath. The legal limit is 35mcg.

“The greatest punishment, arguably, which could be imposed, is the conviction because it is the loss of good character,” said Kevin Batch, defending.

He added that Barnes has suffered from depression and mental health issues which are unresolved and has lost his job because it involves driving.

“He’s ashamed of himself and the trouble he has caused his family,” said Mr Barnes. He is not someone who is going to darken the doors of any court again.”

Barnes was given an 18 month community sentence including an order to do 80 hours of unpaid work. He was banned from driving for 18 months, must participate in 15 days of rehabilitation activities, pay the van driver £150 in compensation and £175 towards prosecution costs.

Magistrate Peter Jones told him: “We can’t have people driving about on the roads having consumed drink. You made a mistake and it was a big mistake.We hope we never see you in these courts again.”

Trains halted after track shortcut

A MAN who brought the railway to a halt after he was spotted trespassing on train tracks has been sentenced to a conditional discharge for 12 months by Bolton magistrates.

The court heard how police were called after staff at Daisy Hill station spotted a man in bushes on the embankment at 2pm on April 14.

Nicola Yeadon, prosecuting, said officers saw a figure 500 yards from the end of a disused platform wearing a high viz jacket and holding carrier bags.

“The figure appeared to be walking across the rail tracks and police requested an immediate stop on the line,” said Mrs Yeadon.

After a search 35-year-old Steven Stout was found nearby on Lower Leigh Road. “He said that he was trying to take a route as the crow flies,” said Mrs Yeadon.

Stout, of Acton Street, Wigan, told police he had got onto the tracks at Hag Fold but no trains were coming. He pleaded guilty to trespassing on the railway and told magistrates that, at the time, he was suffering from mental health issues.

“I have managed to get help and support now. I am doing better than I was a few months ago,” he said.

Magistrate Peter Jones told Stout that he had been open and honest with the court.

“It appears to out eyes that you are getting your act together,” he said.

Football ban

MAGISTRATES have banned a man from attending any football match for three years after he used threatening behaviour towards a disabled woman.

At Manchester Magistrates' Court Thomas Darcy, aged 55, of Collinwood Way, Westhoughton, pleaded guilty to committing the offence on New Year's Day in Manchester.

He was ordered to be electronically tagged and was sentenced to a 7pm to 7am curfew for four weeks and told to pay his victim £200 in compensation.

Assault fine

A MAN has been fined £350 after admitted assaulting a woman in Bolton on May 24.

In addition to the fine, Manchester magistrates ordered Jordan Bamber, aged 22, of The Crescent, Little Lever, to pay £115 in costs and charges plus £50 in compensation to his victim.

A restraining order was made banning him from contacting her or going to Alders Close, Bolton.

A mooving story

A DRUNKEN man was abusive to farm workers and the public after he climbed into a pen with a bull and cows.

Manchester magistrates heard how police were called after Thomas Hoyle, aged 35, of Manchester Road, Bury, began behaving badly at Higher Spenmoor Farm at Radcliffe on April 12.

He pleaded guilty to being drunk and disorderly and an offence under health protection regulations.

Magistrates fined Hoyle £210 and he was also ordered to pay £85 towards prosecution costs and a £32 victim surcharge.

Drink drive

A DRINK driver has been banned from the roads for 17 months by magistrates.

At Manchester Magistrates’ Court Morgan Smith, aged 30, of Hallview Way, Little Hulton, admitted driving a Vauxhall Astra on Buckley Lane, Farnworth, on April 17 whilst over the alcohol limit.

In addition to the driving ban, she was fined £360 and ordered to pay £116 in costs and charges.

Keep up to date with the latest court and crime stories - click here to join our Facebook group