RESIDENTS have expressed their “joy” and “relief” after a closure order was made on a 'drugs den'.

Neighbours of 79 Carlton Street in Farnworth say they have been plagued by numerous incidents of anti-social behaviour this year.

Manchester and Salford Magistrates’ Court heard how those living next to the terraced house were left “suicidal” after months of problems including drug dealing and violence.

The order was issued to the address on Monday after a successful application from Greater Manchester Police (GMP) to the court.

A full closure order was granted and the property will be closed for three months.

Representing GMP in court, David Kent said Akmal Javaid had been resident at the house throughout the summer months during which time he had allowed people to repeatedly visit in the early hours of the morning with neighbours reporting loud noises and shouting.

It was suspected that drug dealing was taking place at the property with residents saying they could not get to sleep and in one case were “feeling suicidal”.

Following the order, one neighbour, who asked to remain anonymous, said: “I feel relieved, it’s been a long time coming.

“I have had fluorescent green paint put on the front of my car, had my back door broken and been woken up by people throwing stones at my window.

“It’s just been constant. I have not slept for seven months.

"I work 12-hour shifts and the last thing I want to be doing is being woken up at 3am in the morning.

“I will not be happy until they are gone.”

Another resident, who did not want to be named: “I am absolutely overjoyed, it has been going on for a long time and that was the outcome we needed.

“We are all so happy and glad the right thing has finally been done.

“I am not suffering with anxiety as much now.”

This year, various people had been seen climbing in though windows of 79 Carlton Street and breaking in with Mr Kent adding that the property was in a state of disrepair and five separate notices had been issued regarding the breaking of Covid-19 regulations during lockdown.

On one occasion neighbours had reported that Mr Javaid had been chased down the street by three men armed with knives.

Despite the local authority and GMP intervening Mr Kent said there was little prospect of Mr Javaid or the owner of the property, Nick Jeffries, taking any action meaning an application for a closure order would be made under section 80 of the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014.

Neither Mr Javaid or Mr Jeffries were in court to contest the application although Mr Kent said Mr Jeffries had flown into the UK from France the previous day and had said he would now sell the property.