A MUCH-LOVED grandfather died after an injury caused by an e-bike crash became infected.

Adam Dawson, 51, passed away on February 19 after complications from surgery on his leg.

The Bolton man, who had three sisters, grew up in the area, and had quite a difficult life - struggling with mental health conditions and addiction.

A hearing at Bolton Coroner’s Court on Friday afternoon heard he was admitted to hospital on January 9, after falling off his e-bike outside his home on The Pungle, Westhoughton.

Mr Dawson’s severe femur fracture meant doctors needed to operate to fix his knee.

His recovery was disrupted on January 12, two days after the operation, when Mr Dawson discharged himself from the Royal Bolton Hospital.

Daughter Chantelle Dawson told assistant coroner Stephen Teasdale that her dad had started to hallucinate after being given morphine.

She said: “I feel like it’s my fault because when I went to see him the day before I told the doctors he wasn’t getting any pain relief, the buzzer was going off and it wasn’t working.

“Then he obviously had a bad reaction to the morphine and started hallucinating, maybe if I hadn’t said anything he’d have stayed there.

“My dad had a good heart, and he did try to look after himself.”

Despite his discharge, Jawad Sultan, the consultant who operated on the knee, said no evidence of infection could be found at Mr Dawson’s fracture clinic visit on January 29.

Mr Dawson, who was being cared for by his mother at her home on Waters Meetings Road, then demanded to be taken back home to care for himself.

His condition deteriorated and Miss Dawson called an ambulance on February 14 after finding her dad having a seizure.

He was readmitted to hospital with sepsis, and diabetic ketoacidosis, a dangerous complication of diabetes which doctors believe Mr Dawson had been living with before his death.

Surgeons performed a second operation to wash out the knee, but when Mr Sultan checked the wound on February 19, he found skin around the knee, heels, and leg had turned black.

Doctors decided it would be in Mr Dawson’s best interests to move to palliative care, as he would be unlikely to survive surgery to amputate the leg.

Mr Teasdale said: “My conclusion is one of accident, because that is what caused these events.

“His accident led to the operation, which led to an infection, and that attacked his organs.

“He had a difficult life, he didn’t always look after himself as he should, we have to let people make their own decisions, and nothing you could have done would have prevented this.”