A DRIVER narrowly avoided crashing into other vehicles during a high-speed police chase through Bolton.

Janice Vallancee, prosecuting, told Bolton magistrates how David Greer's Vauxhall Corsa, which was in poor condition, first came to officers' attention as it appeared to be driving round in circles in Great Lever at 9.40pm on March 21, 2019.

"The vehicle turned onto Holmeswood Road and made loops around the estate, the driver not appearing to know where he was going," said Ms Vallancee.

"The defendant eventually turned onto Lever Edge Lane and, at that point, quite possibly he saw the police were following him because he accelerated up to 50mph."

A pursuit then started during which an officer described Greer's driving as some of the worst he has ever seen.

Greer, aged 52, hurtled over speed bumps on Higher Swan Lane, careered past two vehicles on Bridgeman Street and continued accelerating as he turned into Adelaide Street.

"As it approached the junction with St Helens Road, it quickly turned left, causing a vehicle that was approaching from the right to sharply apply the brakes and swerve into the middle of the road to avoid a collision," said Ms Vallancee.

The car eventually came to an abrupt halt in Daisy Street, Deane, and Greer was arrested.

In a statement read out in court one of the officers said: "In my opinion, the driving being displayed by Greer was extremely dangerous — he narrowly avoided a collision with several vehicles. I have been a police officer for over 12 years and the driving was one of the worst that I have seen."

Greer, of Stevenson Close, Farnworth, pleaded guilty to dangerous driving and having no insurance. The court heard that he has previous convictions dating back a number of years.

Liam Kotrie, defending, said: "He has had a drink problem and throughout this period of offending he was drinking eight cans of lager a day, at least.

"Fortunately he wasn't drunk that day when he was driving."

He added that, following his arrest Greer "went to ground" and suffered from depression, made worse when his long-term partner died.

But he added that, since moving in with his daughter, Greer has begun to turn his life around, has stayed out of trouble and "is not the same person he was then".

Magistrates sentenced him to 26 weeks in prison, suspended for 18 months, ordered him to undertake 100 hours of unpaid work and he must participate in 20 days of rehabilitation activities.

He was also banned from driving for two years after which he must take an extended retest and must pay £200 in costs and charges.