EXPERTS have been unable to confirm why a 52-year-old woman died last year after collapsing at her Farnworth home, an inquest has heard.

Andrea Oliver, of Leinster Street, was rushed to hospital on October 12 of last year after being discovered by her husband collapsed on her dining room floor - possibly after she went to retrieve her Kindle, an inquest heard.

After husband Michael performed CPR, paramedics arrived with a defibrillator before taking her to Royal Bolton Hospital, where she was put into an induced coma, Bolton Coroner’s Court was told.

Despite a medical team’s best efforts, her condition deteriorated, and she suffered multiple seizures before dying five days later.

The inquest heard Mrs Oliver suffered a long history of medical problems, including a ‘mini stroke’, had a drinking problem and had suffered bleeds to her stomach after taking medication.

But medical experts have been unable give an exact of her death, the court was told.

Andrea seemed ‘vacant’ in the days before her death, and he saw a change in his wife’s routine, the inquest heard.

Her husband said: “She didn’t get dressed after waking up, and she didn’t want to go out to walk the dog,”

He also referred to a number of dizzy spells which she suffered, but said that his wife “didn’t want to bother the GP with these problems”.

Pathologist Dr Patrick Waugh, who conducted the post mortem examination, told the court that it would be sensible to mark the cause of death as ‘unascertained’, despite some evidence of an enlarged heart and fatty liver disease.

However the indications of fatty liver disease could only be found under a microscope, and nothing was so significant as to give an exact cause of death.

Dr Katie Hilton, a GP at Stonehill Medical Centre, Farnworth, added that Mrs Oliver was prescribed blood thinners, anti-acid tablets, paracetamol and anti-depressants.

Blood tests conducted at the practice during last summer revealed few problems other than a high cholesterol, for which she was being treated.

At the inquest’s conclusion, area coroner for Manchester West, Alan Walsh, said that Mrs Oliver ‘died as a consequence of a naturally occurring cause of death’.