A DAD who died in a tragic car crash drove through a red light before crashing into another vehicle, an inquest opening has been told.

Bolton Coroners Court heard how Jamie Crompton, of Everard Close, Worsley, died after colliding into a wall at the junction of Long Causeway and Albert Road in Farnworth, shortly before 11pm on May 25.

Police coroner’s officer Julie-Anne Hyde told the court: “Mr Crompton was driving along the road when he contravened a red light and crashed into another vehicle, which was driving through a green light.

“He then crashed into a brick wall outside of a supermarket.”

Paramedics attended the incident and the 35-year-old was pronounced dead at the scene.

Five others were taken to hospital, it was reported at the time, including a seven-year-old.

Read more: Dad, 38, told to take his own life by housemate

Part of the boundary wall of the Farnworth Tesco’s was destroyed in the aftermath of the crash, while a card ‘in memory of a special Dad’ was later attached to railings at the scene, alongside pictures of Mr Crompton.

The morning after the crash, motorists were warned of a traffic light failure at the junction.

An earlier police statement said: “A black Fiat and a silver Vauxhall Insignia crashed at the junction of the Albert Road and Longcauseway in Farnworth at 11pm on May 25. The driver of the Fiat died at the scene. Five other people, aged between seven and 28 - were treated at hospital for minor injuries.

“Four ambulances and an advanced paramedic were sent to the scene.”

The fire service sent crews from Farnworth and Bolton Central and the specialist technical response unit from Leigh to the incident.

The medical cause of death was given by Dr Ravindra Sawant, a pathologist at Royal Bolton Hospital as one of “body trauma”.

Read more: Sex attacker spared jail after assault on "vulnerable woman"

Blood and urine samples have been retained for a toxicology report, while senior coroner Timothy Brennand adjourned the inquest for a full documentary hearing to take place on November 8 at Bolton Coroners Court.