A BLIND man was saved by his guide dog after reckless drivers sped the wrong way down a busy main road - nearly knocking him over.

Joshua Seddon, who is visually impaired, was returning from a shopping trip at around 11.30am on July 26 with his wife Rachel and their two children on Monday morning, when he got the “fright of his life”.

Joshua, 39, from Farnworth, said: “I was already halfway across the road when I heard a car horn beeping and then slamming on its brakes.

“I almost lost my balance and Jack dragged me to the other side of the road. I was very shaken and I just think some people should not be allowed to own a driving licence.

“I felt terrible after it happened. It made me feel ill, so I went home and got a cup of tea, and tried to relax.”

Hours later, the family were being visited by a representative from the Guide Dog’s charity, to ensure that Jack, a white Labrador retriever, was still in working order.

Devastatingly for Josh and the family, it was decided Jack was no longer fit to continue working as Joshua’s guide dog,

Joshua added: “Jack wasn’t his normal self after the earlier incident where he pulled me across the road. He was already semi-retired as he was 10 years old, and he injured himself while we were on holiday in Scotland.

“But now I’m without a working guide dog and I’ll be on a waiting list for 12 to 18 months while they find me a new one. Everything is taking so much longer because of the pandemic.

“I’m so grateful for everything that Jack has done. But it’s such a shame that he has to now retire.”

Wife Rachael said: “Jack saved my husband’s life. We were crossing the road when it was on the green man, when two cars decided to race each other on the wrong side of the road on Buckley Lane, going towards the Farnworth Tesco.

“A black car came speeding down the wrong side of the road and stopped at the last minute.

“Jack quickly reacted when he spotted the cars and pulled Josh onto the pavement.

“If anyone saw a black car and a red car racing around Farnworth at that time, then please contact the police.”

Greater Manchester Police has been contacted for comment.