GANG members who blasted a rival with a shotgun during a suspected Bolton "turf war" have been jailed for a total of more than 26 years.

Abdul Said, Sabir Abdulkadir and Ismail Abdullahi arranged to meet Jon Robinson in the early hours of November 7 last year in Glenthorne Street, Halliwell.

Geoff Whelan, prosecuting, told Manchester Minshull Street Crown Court that both sides prepared themselves for violence and the gang had travelled to the street in a BMW, which an accomplice had bought from Birmingham three days earlier.

Robinson awaited their arrival armed with a knife and a hammer while Abdullahi, aged 22, also had a knife and Abdulkadir was carrying a sawn-off double-barrelled shotgun wrapped in a carrier bag.

The BMW pulled up in the street at 1.10am and Said, aged 21, was first to approach Robinson, but he is thought to have spotted the gun and ran off, chased by Abdullahi and Said.

CCTV showed a flash of light as Abdulkadir fired the gun before he rushed back to the BMW to reload the weapon.

The Bolton News: Weapons and BMW used in the attackWeapons and BMW used in the attack

In the meantime Robinson ran towards the car, smashing it with a hammer before a voice was heard shouting "Blast him, F***ing blast him". A second shot was fired and gun pellets lodged in Robinson's back.

Police were alerted by calls from neighbours who had heard the shots and the attackers fled to Hebden Court, Bolton. Butt later Abdulkadir and Said took a taxi back to the scene to recover the shotgun which had been hidden.

Robinson, aged 35, of Louisa Street, Halliwell, was jailed for two years in December last year for affray and possessing weapons.

The Bolton News: Jon RobinsonJon Robinson

READ MORE: Jon Robinson

When Said, of Langdon Close, Bolton, and Abdulkadir, of Rawcliffe Street, Manchester were arrested drugs and cash were found at their homes.

And during a different police operation officers recovered the gun in another house where it had been left for safekeeping.

Abdulkadir aged 21, pleaded guilty to possessing a firearm with intent to endanger life and affray and was jailed for 14 years and four months while Abdullahi and Said both admitted affray and possessing a firearm intending to cause fear of violence.

Judge John Potter sentenced Said to six years and three months in prison and Abdullahi was jailed for five years and 10 months.

The Bolton News: Scene of the shootingScene of the shooting

The judge told them: "I am sure that this was a planned use of a firearm in a public place with a view to intimidating or threatening another rival criminal in which each of the three of you engaged.

"You, Mr Abdulkadir took the decision to endanger the life of that individual by the discharging of that firearm, not once, but twice, having reloaded it, causing that individual significant injury.

"On any view, the use of a firearm in such a blatant and wholly dangerous way by the three of you merits the imposition of an immediate custodial sentence.

Following the sentence Detective Constable Ella Winters, of GMP's Operation Challenger, said: "These men are ruthless and selfish individuals who are willing to hurt others without thinking of the consequences.

"Brandishing weapons in the street is completely unacceptable and could have resulted in innocent by passers being seriously hurt as a result.

Detective Sergeant Paul Quinn added: "I would like to recognise the work of the Challenger Team in today's results.

"The officers involved have shown incredible professionalism, drive and attention to detail, leaving no stone unturned as they worked with commitment and determination to identify and imprison this Organised Crime Group.

"As part of this investigation the team executed numerous warrants and recovered a quantity of class A drugs worth around £40,000 and substantial amounts of cash as well as recovering the firearm involved in this incident and ensuring it is taken off of the streets.

"I hope this time in prison gives them the time they need to reflect on their depraved actions."