FORMER Wanderers goalkeeper Mark Howard has joined League Two Carlisle United in a short-term deal.

Howard - who made 39 appearances for the Whites between 2016 and 2018 – has signed a deal which runs until the end of the year.

“We're really pleased that we've managed to get Mark in with us,” caretaker manager Gavin Skelton told the club’s website.

"He's an experienced player who knows the game, and he knows what League Two is all about.

"We felt it was important to get somebody like that in because he isn't just here for the sake of it, he'll provide real competition for that starting jersey.

"He's shown through his first training session with us that he likes to organise and talk to his defenders, and he's slotted in seamlessly already.

"We're all looking forward to working with him."

Howard began his career at Arsenal but failed to make a first-team appearance for the Gunners.

The goalkeeper then had spells with Cardiff, St Mirren, Aberdeen and Blackpool before heading to Sheffield United, where he went on to make over 100 appearances.

After leaving Bramall Lane, Howard had spells with Wanderers and Blackpool before joining Scunthorpe, where he was a regular starter last season.

Now back in League Two, the goalkeeper will be looking to make the most of any opportunities that come his way at Brunton Park.

Social, newsletters, subscriptions and getting in touch...

You can follow the Bolton News on social media, by joining us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram

We also have dedicated Facebook groups on Crime & Court, Traffic & Travel, Nostalgia and our Camera Club page

If you want to make sure you don't miss the most important news stories every day, sign up to one of our free e-mail newsletters 

Gain unlimited access to the Bolton News website with a premium digital subscription - we are running a £2 for two months special offer

Or if you want the Bolton News newspaper delivered to your door, get in touch with our home delivery team or call us on 0800 953 0227

Finally, have you got a story for us? If so, contact us at or by using our online contribution form