TRIBUTES have been paid to a ‘true gentleman’ who was described as ‘one in a million’.

John Anthony (Tony) Lomax died on October 3 peacefully at his home in Farnworth and was the beloved husband of Pauline.

In August, the 80-year-old went to the Royal Bolton Hospital where he was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer called mesothelioma.

He was given three months to live but sadly died seven and a half weeks after leaving hospital.

Niece Louise Gregory had led the tributes to the former heating engineer and plumber.

She said: “Uncle Tony was such a perfectionist in his field and many people who he had done work for said that his workmanship was impeccable.

“He first worked at Ellesmere Engineering in Walkden for many years and then he had another couple of years at a Bolton company and then in his last few years before he retired between 2000 and 2006, he co-owned Kenton Heating with a business partner who passed away a few years ago.”

John was cared for by Louise and his wife Pauline, who is the auntie of Louise, at home.

Louise added: “He loved his food and everybody knew that.

“If he came to see us especially at Christmas and any chocolates were left near him you could guarantee when he left there would only be wrappers in there, he would have polished off the lot.

“A great memory was him wrestling with us as kids then also with my kids when they were younger. Pauline and Tony were like second parents to me, my brother Jason and sister Lindsay, then like second grandparents to all our children.

“They loved spending time with them and took them away along with my parents on various little trips. My three children India, Darcie and Bailey in their younger days were a sporty lot taking part in dancing, swimming,rounders or football.

“Auntie Pauline and Uncle Tony were always there in full support of every one of them.

“We have many fond memories of football/rounders/cricket matches in their lovely big garden in the sunshine with our extended family too.

“Then we had holidays to St Ives as a little girl then my sister Lindsay followed suit.

“Although it was big quick shock from Uncle Tony going into hospital hearing of his diagnosis and the time he had left, we did share some fond memories with him and looked back at some old family photos and he had a great fulfilled life and had many fabulous holidays.

“He was a keen bowler and was bowling weeks before he went into hospital.

“Uncle Tony, you were one in a million, the best uncle around and will be truly missed by all of us.”

Donations in lieu if desired for Bolton Hospice and enquiries should go to Howarth’s Funeral Service, Balfron House, Farnworth.