A MAN who was stabbed during a brawl with his brothers has been freed from jail after a judge decided the three months he has spent in prison on remand is enough punishment.

Bolton Crown Court heard how Matthew Williams was invited to his mother, Deborah Southern’s home in Monks Lane, Breightmet by his two brothers.

But after spending the evening of August 21 drinking, a violent argument broke out.

“His mother describes them all as merry but when she and her partner went to bed leaving the three of them downstairs but it seems they were unable to get along. Something happened,” said David Lees, prosecuting.

He told how there was blood at the bottom of the stairs and fighting between the siblings spilled out into the street. At some stage Williams received stab wounds which were later glued in hospital.

Williams, aged 28, of Claypool Road, Horwich, started throwing things and attacking vehicles with a baseball bat after his stepfather ushered his brothers inside and hurled a garden bench through the front window.

When Williams’ sister was called to try and calm him down he spat in her face, telling her, “You sent me down you slag”.

The court heard that Williams has a lengthy criminal record for violence and only the day before had been released from prison for a public order offence in which he threatened his sister.

Mr Lees said that, more recently, Williams’ violence has been directed against his own family and, on this occasion, the only one injured was himself.

Williams pleaded guilty to affray and the court heard that his brothers are still under investigation for their part in the incident.

Nicola Carroll, defending, said the affray, which lasted 10 minutes, was not a case of prolonged violence and the father-of-one has detoxified from alcohol use while in prison.

She added: “He feels he was duped into going to the house on that night by his brothers with the promise of alcohol.

“Alcohol was consumed by all and, of course, it has led to this act of foolishness. The red mist descended having been assaulted by his brothers inside the house.

“He has no desire to see his family at the moment.”

Judge Timothy Clayson sentenced Williams to 20 weeks in prison which, because of time already spent on remand, meant he was released immediately to live at approved premises on licence.

A restraining order was made banning him from going contacting his family for two years.

“I am sure that, from your position in prison, you can appreciate that scraps like this, especially with your record, are almost inevitably going to lead to a prison sentence,” Judge Clayson told Williams.

“You have served long enough in prison so far as I am concerned.”