A WOMAN told Bolton Crown Court she would “never trust again” as her former partner was jailed for crimes against her.

Matthew Bailey was being sentenced after admitting controlling and coercive behaviour against the woman in question over a year long period.

After he was arrested and ordered to stay away from her he assaulted her the following month.

The court heard the relationship deteriorated and Bailey made demeaning comments.

Simon Barrett, prosecuting, said: “On one occasion he said the world would be a better place when she was dead.”

The couple went on a reconciliation weekend away to Birmingham but during an argument he punched her, causing a split lip.

They returned to Bolton and later that month the woman was on a night out. Bailey turned up in her car and demanded she drive them home. During the drive an argument caused the car to veer off the road and hit a lamppost.

Mr Barrett said: “The defendant ran from the scene laughing while the complainant was hysterically screaming and crying. She sustained a large bang to the head and bruising.”

Bailey, of Green Lane, Horwich, was arrested after this and ordered to stay away from the woman but in an August incident he squeezed her face and caused her to suffer a split lip and bruising.

The woman said in a statement: "I hate looking at myself in the mirror. I won’t ever trust again.

“The person who was supposed to make me feel safe did anything but make me feel safe.

“I hate myself for ever allowing this kind of abuse to happen.

“I hate how I always blame myself.”

She also said she was on anti-anxiety medication and in counselling as a result.

The court heard Bailey had previously been jailed for robbery, sexual offences against a female under 16 and also coercive and controlling behaviour.

Betsy Hindle, defending, said her client was unable to undertake courses due to the Covid situation in prison but could be monitored by probation if given a suspended sentence.

Passing sentence Recorder of Bolton Judge Martin Walsh said: “I am quite satisfied this case crosses the custodial threshold.”

He jailed the 27-year-old for18 months and applied a four-year restraining order.