FIREFIGHTERS were called to house fire last night caused by a chip pan.

Fire crews from Farnworth were called to Chester Road, Tyldesley just before 10pm after the pan caught alight.

Firefighters say that the man try to put the fire out himself causing it to spread.

He was given oxygen at the scene.

A spokesman for Farnworth Fire Station said: ""We received a call out to Chester Road at 9.45pm and arrived to see that the gentleman had tried to put the flames out himself.

"Unfortunately his actions caused the fire to spread and there was smoke damage to the rest of the house.

"We administered him some oxygen at the scene, but luckily he didn't require hospital treatment."

Crews were on the scene for an hour-and-a-half.